Thursday, May 3, 2012

First Post- My UDS Smoker

Trying Something New

I hope to dedicate my blogs mainly to the use of ultraviolet germicidal technology for use in water, air and surface applications. However, as my interests indicate, running, biking, hiking, grilling and smoking, these topics may find they're way onto these pages.

Any interest that these above listed items may generate will be appreciated, and any input helpful.

This First Post is dedicated to my homemade 55 gallon smoker. I'll attach a photo of it here.

My UDS Smoker

This was an old stainless steel drum that was used for testing the effects of photochemically ozonated water onto the surfaces of cucumbers. The theory was to enhance the look of the product surface, while destroying any pathogens that may have been attempting to grow.

After the testing was complete (which was very successful), the drum was shelved for over 15 years. One day, when the shop was getting a major cleaning, I saw the drum, and thought what a great smoker this could be.

The add-ons:
Casters
1900 Watt Strip Heater
17" x 8" x 6" H. Smoker Box
Rheostat for Temperature Control
Access Door for Smoker Box
Two Tiers 1) Water/ Catch Pan 2) 22 1/2" Dia. Grating
Access Handles for Top
Flue
Additional Stainless Steel Walls for Insulation

On this UDS (ugly drum smoker), I have made:
Briskets
Baby Back Ribs
Spare Ribs
Chicken (Legs, Breasts)
Whole Turkeys
Hams

My Best Brisket Yet. Mustard anchor with Tailgater Toby Rub.
7.5 lbs. Trimmed. 9 Hour Smoke.


All of these meats were smoked with great success. 

Some future blogs may be featuring some recipes, hopefully.




No comments:

Post a Comment